Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

He humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross. ~ Phil. 2:8

The most sacred time of the year. In perpetual gratitude to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ our days are no longer numbered, for the door to eternity has been opened for His lambs. Immortality purchased for us by the blood of our Messiah.



"It is finished." And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit. ~ John 19:30

As time rolls by the craving love for my Lord grows sweeter and sweeter, more potent than any earthly passion. A couple of Christmases ago I received two holiday editions of Marilyn Hickey's special classic writings. In The Gospel of John: Classic Library Edition Hickey outlines the Apostle John's Good News by dissecting each verse. Reading this gospel accomodated by Hickey's commentary allows for even deeper reflection upon God's Word. This is an excellent journey I have been taking during the Lenten season leading up to the Crucifixion and Resurrection of our Lord. The death of our sins. The death of our death. The beginning of everlasting life.



There is also an introduction by her daughter Sarah Bowling. I have read her book How to Keep Your Faith in an Upside-Down World as well as her other collaborations. She is a very educated and talented teacher and minister. Sarah is talented with presenting lucid perspectives that tend to reach across to such wide varieties of people of all ages and cultures. With her relaxed attitude she's lends a relaxed appeal to the younger audiences, especially those who seem trapped by life's complexities.

"God is looking for people who are devoted to Him in their hearts and with their behavior, not merely in a religious way. John the Baptist confronted this kind of surface living and we today are challenged to keep a pure heart toward God." (p. 15)

I have always appreciated the translations that Hickey and Bowling employ in their teachings. Particular passages in The Gospel of John are highlighted to shed light on a Greek word used in the original Scriptures. One particular meaning will signify a completely different understanding as opposed to what a reader may first interpret in general.

* ZOE ~ Relating the Greek word for "life" to the power of the Holy Spirit in verses such as John 10:10 "...I came that they may have life, and might have it abundantly"

* ALEKTOROPHONIA ~ Regarding Peter's third denial of Christ resulting in the cock's crow in John 18:25-27, the Roman military actually divided the night into four watches. After the third watch they changed gurads. To mark its change there was a 'trumpet' call at 3:00 AM. "The Greek word for "trumpet call" is alektorophonia which is the same word for "cock crow".

There are several other incredible examples, including some that include Latin and Hebrew. I am also fascinated by the sole distinction of this particular Gospel and how it stands out from the others (not to depreciate the value of the other three by any means for each celebrate their own uniqueness). Hickey and Bowling highlight how the Apostle John himself was:

...one of the first two disciples to be called (Jn. 1:35-40, Mt.4:18-22)
...one of the three privileged apostles (Mk. 5:37, Mt. 17:1, 26:37)
...one of the four who drew forth our Lord's great prophetic discourse (Mk 13:3)
...one of two sent to prepare the Passover (Lk 22:8)
...the disciple whom Jesus loved (Jn. 13:23
...by Jesus committed the care of His mother (Jn 19:25-27)

The Gospel of John solely contains six miracles of Jesus not recorded elsewhere:

-Turning water in to wine (Jn. 2:7-9)
-Healing of nobleman's son (Jn. 4:49-53)
-Healing of the impotet man at Bethesda (Jn. 5:6-9)
-Giving of sight to a man born blind (Jn. 9:1,6-7)
-Raising of Lazarus from the dead (Jn. 11:43)
-The multitude fo fish (Jn. 21:5-6)

Jesus declared "I AM" seven times in the Gospel of John:

*I am the Bread of Life (Jn. 6:35-36)
*I am the Light of the world (Jn. 8:12)
*I am the door (Jn. 10:9)
*I am the Good Shepherd (Jn. 10:14)
*I am the resurrection and the life (Jn. 11:25)
*I am the way, the truth, and the life (Jn. 14:6)
*I am the true vine (Jn. 15:1)

I am nearing the end of this beautiful literature on Easter for I have paralleled the outline of this Gospel to conclude on Resurrection Sunday. I am not sure if this book can still be purchased, but it is available at Marilyn Hickey's website at mhin.org.




Marilyn Hickey, the founder and president of Marilyn Hickey Ministries, has been actively "covering the earth with God's Word" for over 30 years. One of the most respected and anointed Bible teachers in the world, she has developed a unique and powerful ability to communicate deep biblical truths in a way that is understandable and practical for everyday life. Marilyn and her husband, Wallace, founded Orchard Road Christian Center. They are the parents of two grown children and live near Denver, Colorado.

Sarah Bowling is the daughter of Pastor Wallace and Marilyn Hickey and is married to Reece Bowling, who serves as the Executive Vice President of Marilyn Hickey Ministries. Together, Reece and Sarah serve as senior pastors at Orchard Road Christian Center. A key focus of Sarah's ministry is Worldchild - a division of Marilyn Hickey Ministries. Sarah, Reece, and their three children live in the Denver area.




Were you there when they crucified my Lord?..

Were you there when they took him from the cross?..

Were you there when they laid him in the tomb?..

Were you there when the stone was rolled away?..

Were you There (When They Crucified my Lord)
~ Johnny Cash
Related Posts with Thumbnails